One of our guiding principles at the Financial Guide to Life is to avoid paying full price.
Here are my key tips for saving money at hotels:
- Book at hotels offering free breakfast, WIFI, and parking.
- Stay in the suburbs rather than big cities.
- Check several travel sites.
- Get discounts from your organizations such as AARP and AAA.
- Use the bidding sites Priceline and Hotwire in cities with good competition.
- Get one of the hotel loyalty cards that let you get hotel points from everyday spending that will get your more points that hotel stays. Some electricity providers will also give you hotel points for spending, but take care that you aren’t paying a higher cost for their electricity.